What would be even better is to just write the code right in the first place
so that no error ever happens.  (I tried that.  I came close.)

Yes. I am arguing that the server should always return a 500 if it reaches
the end of a connection with no other results.  I don't know the technical
feasibility of this but it does not seem like correct behavior to return
nothing to the user.

I'm confused by the "O/ACS is replacing the http protocol with the filter"
reference.  The O/ACS is just using the documented ns_register_filter command
for it's intended purpose.