as a chroot alternative it should very good.  I'm not aware of any way to
access the parent machine from the virtual machine.

as a virtual server it might perform well if you give each vmware machine a
dedicated partition and load up on memory (if you assign 128mb or whatever to
a virtual machine it will always have that memory in use)

it certainly is inefficient but it does provide a great way of segmenting
services while still using a single piece of hardware.  and you could run
different OSs if you so desire.  and with hardware getting cheaper and faster
this idea becomes more and more viable.