Hello,

I've been playing around with AOLServer 4.0b2 and ran into an
interesting problem with the Control Port.

When I connect to the nscp in version 4.0x using the standard, vanilla,
command-line Linux telnet client, I can successfully log in (i.e.,
provide my username and password).  However, as soon as I am given the
"server1:nscp 1>" prompt, AOLServer closes the telnet connection.

The connection is being dropped in nscp.c : GetLine(), in the section
of code beginning "if (n > 1 && buf[0] == TN_IAC)...".  I modified the
call to ns_log to display the contents of buf[1] in the generic failure
condition.  Here's what shows up in my log:

[-nscp:1-] Warning: nscp: unsupported telnet IAC code 252 received from
client

This is the WONT command, I believe?

I haven't dug through the code very deeply, but it bears mentioning
that I *can* connect to nscp on AOLServer 3.x, even though that version
GetLine() contains similar IAC handling code.  On AOLServer 3.x,
however, it looks like the session begins with some junk in the input
buffer; the first command line always fails.  The following message is
logged:

Error: invalid command name "ÿü"
invalid command name "ÿü"
    while executing
"ÿü"

If you were to type a command (clock seconds, for example), the "ÿü"
would be prepended to the command.

I have a feeling that these two issues are related.  I experienced the
"ÿü" on several different servers running AOLServer 3.2x and 3.4x.  Any
thoughts?

thanks,
thomas