You have to provide the -b switch for ports under 1024 in AOLserver4.0.

The ports are pre-bound while the server is still running as root. If
the switch isn't provided, pre-binding doesn't happen and then later the
underprivileged user can't get the port, causing the permission denied
error.

Another issue is that when AOLserver restarts, sometimes it is so fast,
the port isn't available, and the binding can't happen. This has been
the case since before 4.0. Put in a 3-4 second delay in your startup
script to fix the problem.

I'm not sure I have seen the problem of killing AOLserver. Today I was
starting AOLserver with sudo and I had to do [ctrl]-c twice to get back
to the command line, but I don't think this is the same thing.