On Monday 03 July 2006 07:56, Nathan Folkman wrote:

> * Network NV (network variables) - Similar to nsv, but allows updates to
> be distributed to many clients. Allows you to update variables on a
> single NV writer, and have those changes broadcast out to many front-end
> readers.
> * Network Eval - Allows you to send Tcl scripts to be evaluated to many
> other servers.

Yumm!

NVs and Network Eval sound ideal for pushing dynamic content into semi-static
structures (cache?) The simple example is time-of-day, which updates maybe
once per minute, so if you have hundreds or thousands or hundreds of
thousands of requests per minute, this dynamic data is really static for one
minute. A city's weather forcast doesn't change quite as often.

As far as scalability goes, the discussion has focused on components. However,
I would like to mention that on the high end, this really ends up being about
architecture and protocol, or how can the components be separated and how can
they communicate. If the components themselves do not have built in
communication APIs, then they becomes inseparable from other components.

It sounds like the nsdci module would extend the architecture of AOLserver
significantly for anyone interested in scalablility. Maybe overall, the term
scalability is something which applies to an application, not the components
which are used to create the application. Components themselves might have an
overall efficiency which measures how much time it takes to perform a given
task. Eventually a given processor/thread/server will run out of resources or
time. Scalability might be a measure of how easy it is to scale beyond a
single instance of a component.