OK, I gave it a shot. I'm still going to look at the ns_chan info but for now this will work. I'm trying to cobble together a proof-of-concept to switch parts of our product from tclhttpd to aolserver, and so I need something that works, this week, no matter what.

I would not implement it in aolserver core how I did it, which was to nsv_lappend to a variable any channels that I wish to not have cleaned up. My ns_cleanup chan lsearches that list before closing a channel, and if the chan it's considering closing is in the list, it just skips it, like it does for stdout etc.