On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 11:41:45AM -0400, Titi Ala'ilima wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> What I'd love would be a way to have an nsd thread listen for a certain
> db event and fire Tcl as a result.  Anyone know how to accomplish this
> other than polling?  I'd hate to have to grab a handle, query, and then
> release a handle.  In a pinch I know I could have the db make an HTTP
> request.  But ideally there would be a persistent connection open and
> the db (in this case Oracle, but I'd like to figure out a way that would
> work with postgres, too) would report when Tcl needs to be fired.  Seems
> like nsproxy may be useful for this.

So what you want is basically a trigger which when fired does
something OUTSIDE the database, via a network connection, Unix named
pipe, or the like.  This should be possible, but is going to be
database specifc, as AFAIK there is no such mechanism in standard SQL.

I'm pretty sure Oracle supports several different ways to do that, and
PostgreSQL probably does as well, but I've never done it and don't
remember what the various related tools are.  There's definitely
relevent stuff in the Oracle docs, though.

Perhaps Oracle's OCI even includes some way to do that, and you could
extend the AOLserver database driver to support it.  But the stuff
I've stumbled across in the Oracle was about entirely separate
facilities.

--
Andrew Piskorski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.piskorski.com/