Oh, well

so I guess it was too early to celebrate. Now I am getting the same
crashes again, even without "exit" command in the tcl code executed in
thread.

Seems to me that the same problem now discussed in
bug 1589968
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=103152&aid=1589968&group_id=3152

and

bug 1582671