On Thursday 27 September 2007 09:55, John Buckman wrote:
> When comparing lighthttpd vs aolserver, notice that aolserver only
> does worse than lighthttpd for large files, and on the same file
> system/hardware. Thus, the difference in benchmarks is not likely to
> be the access logs or disk.

Yeah, that would be a contradiction. I wonder what causes AOLserver to fall
behind with large files, and I assume a lower number of new requests per sec.

> Lighthttpd is *not* using the system call to send a file to a socket
> (I forget the name) as this call was taken out of the Linux kernel, I
> believe with 2.4.  I remember reading a note about this from Linus,
> that the performance for that system call was terrible, so they were
> taking it out.

I guess if a single syscall was used to send a large file, everything would
have to wait for it to finish.

> Based on my own experience with sending large files over tcpip, the
> difference is that aolserver uses a thread-based approach vs a
> lighthttpd's single-thread async approach.

Right, but AOLserver also does a lot of reading before passing off to a
connection thread, so the input is a single thread event loop.

> But really, I'm not sure aolserver's performance is really an issue
> anyhow, because aolserver only slows down with large files (100mb+)
> and at that point, you're completely saturating your network
> connection (in my 128mb benchmark below, aolserver is sending 695mb
> per second!)

How is the benchmark run? Do you use any particular config for your AOLserver?

> So, I don't see any point in worrying about improving aolserver's
> plain-file-sending, at least until we get start getting 10 gigabit
> network cards (!)

I agree, I'm not interested in improving AOLserver's peformance by making code
changes. I'm more interested in exploring how AOlserver performs under
different configuration and load situations.

I'm still amazed that AOLserver performs so well for static content, but I
guess everything gets moved in or out of the socket as static bytes, so it is
a great way to measure script performance...that is we can't blame any
slowness on the basic socket/thread management. And of course, the
configuration cound have an impact.