On 28/09/2007, at 5:04 AM, John Buckman wrote:
I've been looking at C-caching of Tcl dynamic content, with "dirty cache" support. For example, replacing the Tcl code that returns a user's uploaded photo with C code.

I wrote C code to do this, and got 14k/second vs 240/s for the same tcl function. So, C really is a good replacement for Tcl when a particular URL needs to be very fast.
My solution to that problem was simply caching in the filesystem and serving static files. The way this works in a multi-server environment is that the custom 404 handler figures out the request was for "/photo/123/axbcgsfdt.jpg" and just grabs it from the database, caches it and redirects back to it.

That way I get the convenience of Tcl code and the speed of static files - save for the first request.

Bas.