On Monday 07 April 2008 20:46, Dossy Shiobara wrote:
> I wrote this in an email to Jim Davidson privately, earlier today:
> |    The problem with secure and reliable software is you [the software
> |    developer] really have no leverage to _make_ people upgrade.
> |    Insecurity and instability are actually a benefit to open source
> |    projects because users are forced into upgrading--not to keep
> |    current, but just to keep functioning.

Dossy, your goals are at extreme odds to most anyone I know. Maybe join the
Microsoft team so you can _make_ people upgrade.

One question I have is why you think it is important to have an 'active and
engaged community' if there is very little left to do? It is baffling why
something which works needs to have active development, which forces users to
upgrade for no good reason.

> I'm at the point where I no longer ask myself "how do I change this" but
> "is there really any need to change this?"
>
> If you answer "yes" ... I'd like to hear your reasons why.

People who actually care about community, ask first. When have you ever,
honestly, done that?

If only you would follow your own advice and say why you are changing stuff
before you do it, that might help quite a lot, I haven't been able to detect
any reason behind your changes.

Personally I always ask "is there really any need to change this", that is the
first question, and with AOLserver, the answer is usually 'no'.

Instead of focusing on content, you seem stuck on changing software tools,
tools which nobody uses, and then there is a plea for icons and logos. This
is total bs. Can we get back to the basics here? This is not some php project
which needs eye candy to attract teenagers to hack at source code.

The bottom line is that until you articulate what you want to do, discussing
how you want to do it is a waste of time. AOLserver source code has arrived.
Trying to create a community around a desire for change is an extremely
destructive idea. Most everyone using AOLserver is very happy with the
stability of the code. If they are not happy, they are very likely
misinformed, so who cares.

What is missing is documentation. We have a structured documentation which was
derailed a few years back by the wiki idea. Now we have a new wiki tool, or
whatever wordpress is. Yet we have no new content. Wonder why? I would
venture to guess that nobody here cares at all to learn wiki or wordpress in
order to document source code.

Anyway, you asked.