Hello John,

I just think that you're introducing complexity to a common and widely
used infraestructure (with a hack), just to hide the flaws on your side.

I don't like this hack. It's not the correct thing to do, not even if
you make some parameters (like the "timeout") changeable via the
configuration file. It just doesn't feel good to me.

But, of course, you are free to patch your own AOLServer. I can't (and
won't) complain about it.

Someone said that this was not an academic discussion... but I am afraid
that to some extent it is. We've been speaking that the cache can't know
if its contents are good or not, if the changes happen out if its scope,
and it's never notified of it.

But, since Linux version 2.6.13, inotify is into the kernel, and
aolserver can subscribe to a path, so know if that file has been
deleted, modified, or anything else. That's the way a cache can know if
the file has been altered in any way, and it should be marked as dirty.
As easy as that... but I know it is harder than that one-line-patch.

Now you can do whatever you want... as long as you don't ask me to patch
my code with the dirty hack you proposed. I don't like having
AOLServer's SVN version patched with this.

Best Regards,

  Juan José

-
Juan José del Río    |
(+34) 616 512 340    |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Simple Option S.L.
  Tel: (+34) 951 930 122
  Fax: (+34) 951 930 122
  http://www.simpleoption.com