Harold --
I don't doubt at all that you could use TRV or some other calculations to come up with rate reductions for smaller trees. The problem, as I see it, is that you if you wish to maximize your savings on pesticides you won't be able to use exactly the same rate reduction for every product. That is the reason that I am uncomfortable recommending TRV as a blanket approach for determining rates for smaller trees. The best growers that I have worked with over the past 30 years have done their own experimentation by gradually lowering rates of products like captan, mancozeb, and Guthion until they hit a break point (detected early via careful scouting), then bringing the rates back up slightly. They also adjust those minimum rates for weather, pest pressure, and tree growth stage. And they have confirmed from their own experimentation that one can cut rates of some products further than rates for other products. This kind of self-generated data is ideal because it is based on actual habits and practices of the growers involved. Unfortunately, it takes a lot of time and effort, and the process needs to be repeated every time one gets new products or a different model of sprayer.

Dave
Alternate row spraying is attractive with today's equipment, labour and fuel
costs. Years ago I sprayed rows 26 ft apart and it worked, so every other 13
ft seemed logical.
Alternate row spraying has worked for me as long as I follow the rules I set
out. Don't spray in the wind. Use enough water to drift to the next row
(70-80 gpa is used). Drive slow enough to allow drift to the next row (3.5
mph or under).  Don't do it on big trees especially when fully leafed out. I
have a chart in the spray cab to switch from alternate to every row on the
go if weather is not cooperating (switch gears, close nozzles)

I am comfortable using EBDCs as a protectant with redistribution potential.
I am comfortable with insecticides that don't necessarily require every leaf
to be painted. I am not comfortable using it with systemic products,
thinners, and miticides that require full coverage today.

That brings up the fact again that registrations are now based on the lowest
effective dose (at least here in Canada) and it gets us into trouble under
adverse conditions.

I still have the gut feel I am overspraying. Trees 8-10 ft tall 7 ft in
diameter getting the same amount per acre as trees 16-18 ft tall and 20 ft
wide. I have calculated the TRV of dwarf trees at 40% of the largest I once
had. 2 rows would be 80%.  Surely I can realize some efficiency cost here
somewhere.

Harold Schooley
Schooley Orchards