Art:

                Your rumination seems to have led to neither discovery,
enlightenment, nor identification of a problem.
        Perhaps you accidentally hit the "send" button before re-reading the
message. Another agricultural industry that
        continues to harvest from old trees and apparently old technology is
the one shown below in a brief presentation on             cork harvesting from
oak orchards:  Note: the links are to still photos illustrating the text below.
It is not my  own                   work.

David Kollas
Kollas Orchard, Connecticut

                Cork: Harvest for the Patient Farmer
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-0-RFQhAaQIk/Un5ogZtWVTI/AAAAAAAArmc/93TchkuZIkA/s1600/cork+harvest+oak+15.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-lKqHfOVw4gU/Un5zXJiQt0I/AAAAAAAArno/rdrYu_0Etc0/s320/wine+corks.jpg
Have you ever wondered where that cork in your bottle of wine comes from? The
answer is most likely to be Spain or Portugal, where over half of the  world’s
cork is harvested - it is in fact the National Tree of the latter country.
However, unlike other forms of forestry, the production of cork never involves
the death of a tree.
Instead, they are gently stripped, leaving a strange but fascinating landscape
of denuded trunks.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-YuayQUqKjjM/Un5hW4yte8I/AAAAAAAArk8/9nVaQuBPCdg/s640/cork+harvest+oak+5.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbenayas/2357225629/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/montuno/1591580602/in/photostream/
All of this takes some time.  Cork trees can live to over two hundred years but
are not considered ready for their cork to be removed until they are at least
twenty five years old.  Even then, the first two harvests do not produce cork
of the highest quality – it isn’t until the trees are in their forties that
they produce premium cork.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catherine_glover/8383640384/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78586478@N06/8201364716/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/suhajdab/3963824824/in/photostream/

Once the trees have reached the maturity necessary to produce high quality cork
then they will be harvested only every nine years.  A tree, in its lifetime,
can be harvested (the process is known as extraction) about fifteen times.
Little wonder then, that in Portugal and Spain the propagation of the trees and
the production of cork has become an inter-generational industry, with  farmers
still producing a crop from trees planted by their great-great  grandfathers.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-6mP-Ha5Wi80/Un5gxNwLHaI/AAAAAAAArk0/JrM-URtWNqU/s1600/cork+harvest+oak+4.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/42754460@N00/6760945341/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_westby/4183036756/in/photostream/