Last month, I went to visit some commercial cideries in France. Most of them
exploit some orchards of cider apples under 2 different systems: the Basse Tige
orchard, which is a medium density (650 trees per hectare) bush orchard, on
MM-106 mainly; and the Haute Tige orchard, which is the traditional standard
tree orchard, at 100 trees per hectare (10 x 10 meters spacing). There were
quite a few of these cideries that had recent plantings in Haute Tige. One of
them also told me his future plantings would be something like one standard
followed by 3 trees on MM-106, and one standard and so on, and the trees on
MM106 would be cut after about 20-25 years as the standards get to their adult
size.

I think in general they think the Haute Tige produces better quality apples for
cider. As of harvesting, since they collect the apples on the ground, there is
no added harvesting costs for the large trees.

So, there are some commercial apple producers that still nowadays use the
old-style production models that were in use over 100 years ago!

Claude Jolicoeur,
Quebec

Author, The New Cider Maker's Handbook
http://www.cjoliprsf.ca/