Hi Ellen. Nice video Win.

In Ireland we have used it in winter also, but it is hard work (rough on
the hands), so limited to shoots produced in the last season. Gives less
grow-back than pruning I believe. Probably less axillary buds left, and
maybe less young tissue to produce adventitious buds?

Con Traas

Ellen, we use it most for suckers and stiping leaders in June. When they
are pulled off they do not grow back.

Here is a You tube video of striping leaders on young apple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddP7cbCiLR4

Best,

Win