From: apple-crop-boun...@virtualorchard.net
[mailto:apple-crop-boun...@virtualorchard.net] On Behalf Of Con.Traas
Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 9:05 AM
To: Apple-crop discussion list
Subject: Re: [apple-crop] Stripping Leaders on apple

Hi Ellen. Nice video Win.
In Ireland we have used it in winter also, but it is hard work (rough on the
hands), so limited to shoots produced in the last season. Gives less grow-back
than pruning I believe. Probably less axillary buds left, and maybe less young
tissue to produce adventitious buds?
Con Traas

Ellen, we use it most for suckers and stiping leaders in June. When they are
pulled off they do not grow back.
Here is a You tube video of striping leaders on young apple.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddP7cbCiLR4
Best,
Win

On Jan 28, 2014, at 9:20 AM, Ellen <mcdo...@gwi.net<mailto:mcdo...@gwi.net>>