Hello Ellen,

I have used ripping to eliminate suckers and watersprouts quite a bit. A
pair of work gloves in June can be very productive. I have also used a
ripping technique to break out shoots that are newly infected with fire
blight.
The ugly wound dries out very quickly and seems to stop progression of the
disease. I have had numerous experiences where cutting out fire blight
strikes in the growing season only made matters worse.
It sounds tough, but we have broken off branches up to an inch in diameter
and left the ugly tear alone. We would follow up in the winter and cut
about 6-12" any existing cankers and had good results.
But as for a regular practice ripping was only used to eliminate suckers or
a ridiculously vigorous upright branch.