Now the question is, how did anyone find a Honeycrisp that doesn't taste good?
Is it the variety? Is it how its grown? Is it postharvest handling? Is it all
the above? In our markets around Chicago it is really difficult to find high
quality apples of any variety from Washington. They look beautiful, but lack
flavor. I think Washington growers produce great apples. They don't show up
here. I've had excellent Honeycrisp from local orchards in northern Illinois.
In southern IL, they aren't as good. We get Fuji from MI in our local Aldi that
are cheap and outstanding to eat. I think local Red Delicious are just
delicious. But then, everyone knows, Red Delicious is a terrible apple. Why do
we have so much acreage of this apple?!!

Bill

William H. Shoemaker

Retired fruit and vegetable horticulturist

University of Illinois

wshoe...@illinois.edu<mailto:wshoe...@illinois.edu>

The problem is, poorly grown HC are just not good tasting apples. They need a
cold winter, heavy thinning to avoid over cropping, calcium sprays every 4-6
days and careful handling.

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 2:59 PM, Steven Bibula