We first planted Honeycrisp trees at our research lab in 1995, and we’ve added
more HC in various plantings over the years.  From my perspective, we are a bit
too far south (90 miles north of Manhattan) to get consistently high quality
with Honeycrisp.  Some years they color well and taste great, but in many years
the quality is only fair (at least compared to the best quality Honeycrisp I
have eaten), and color can be unimpressive (to put it kindly!).  Over-cropping
HC is definitely one way to kill eating quality, but I think that harvesting
prematurely is a close second.  In some years, Honeycrisp show quite a bit of
preharvest drop in our region, perhaps because of  water stress created by high
temperatures between late July and August.  In any case, many folks have
difficulty delaying harvest to achieve optimum quality when apples worth a
dollar each are dropping in large quantities.  Folks in northeastern NY
(Champlain Valley) can grow excellent HC and they initially reported that they
did not have drop problems. However, significant drop also occurred in that
region after an exceptional late-July heat wave several years ago. I’m not
certain if anyone has really done the definitive study on how daytime temps,
nighttime temps, water stress, rootstocks, crop load, spray programs (including
foliar nutrients), and maturity at harvest  interact to create either
exceptionally good or exceptionally bad Honeycrisp.  We all have some general
concepts from observations, but it would be nice to know the acceptable ranges
of the multiple variables that impact fruit quality (i.e., good-tasting) fruit.

Honeycrisp was my favorite apples for a number of years, but eventually I tired
of buying “crunch” at the expense of the more complex flavors that exist in
other cultivars. At this point, I’d compare Honeycrisp to a modest quality
champagne (some folks always go for the bubbles) whereas better cultivars have
the more complex flavor profiles one would expect in an expensive Cabernet.
Currently, my personal favorites are freshly harvested SnapDragon, SweeTango,
and (perhaps a surprise here) Pixie Crunch.  All three of these cultivars have
both crunch and complex flavors, especially at harvest when the aroma volatiles
that provide much of the flavor complexity are at their best. For a variety of
reasons,  I doubt that any of these cultivars will ever rise to the level of
Honeycrisp in consumer consciousness.  First, HC was the first cultivar to
stake out totally new territory in the apple market because of its unique
texture, and being first has advantages. (Many folks still refer to paper
tissues as “Kleenex”.)  Second, good HC hold up well in storage and eating
quality of HC can be excellent after 6 months of storage whereas my three
favorites noted above all tend to lose some of their flavor volatiles during
storage. SnapDragon and SweeTango are still good apples out of storage, just
not quite as good as they are at harvest.  The managed cultivar status of
SweeTango and SnapDragon almost ensure that they will never gain the world-wide
visibility that HC has, although those who can find them in stores will
hopefully get a more consistent quality apple than has been the case with HC.
Finally, most consumers right now seem to want “sweet, juicy, crunch” and are
less selective when it comes to the nuances of good apple flavors.  Thus, I
would guess that those of us who have experienced top-quality fruit and can
differentiate between “exceptional” and “good” fruit will always be a minority
in the market place.

Now, if someone can come up with an easy-to-grow cultivar that has both the HC
crunch factor AND complex aroma volatiles that persist through 6 to 10 months
of CA storage, that will be the apple that will ultimately displace HC in the
marketplace.

Dave Rosenberger, Professor of Plant Pathology
    Cornell's Hudson Valley Lab, P.O. Box 727, Highland, NY 12528
       Office:  845-691-7231    Cell:     845-594-3060
        http://pppmb.cals.cornell.edu/people/dave-rosenberger

On Jan 30, 2014, at 11:52 AM, Fleming, William