I had a guy ask a question yesterday for which I didn't have a good answer.

He had purchased peaches from another orchard and complained the peaches had "mold" next to the pit. What he described was a white substance next to the pit, not unusual in freestone peaches. At one time I read an article which described in specifics what the white substance was, but I can't remember now. I told him it probably wasn't mold, and that it was natural. I'd like to have a more specific response for my own customers. Anyone know what the white spots are next to the pit, sometimes seen when breaking open a freestone peach?

Mark Angermayer
Tubby Fruits
Bucyrus KS