I'd like to reply as an apple consumer, and as someone who ate a lot of fruit
in u-pick orchards as a kid, and as someone who thinks of herself as an honest
person.

If your customers are eating fruit as they talk to you, they don't think they
are stealing. And perhaps you shouldn't think they are, either.

There are different types of pick-your-own places, but in most cases, they are
selling an experience more than they selling fruit.

Eating fruit transforms a u-pick experience into something much more enjoyable
than a trip to the market to buy fruit. I would suggest you seriously consider
building a charge for fruit consumed on-site into your fees, and allowing your
customers to do it. Think of it as similar to providing a salad bar at a
restaurant rather than as theft.

As an adult, I go both to places that tell me prominently not to eat the fruit
(or put tight limits on what is allowed) and to places that don't do that. As
an honest person, I follow the rules. But I only go to the places with
restrictions if they offer a product I can't buy at a store. I would never
bother to bring my kids to those places. What would be the point?

I understand that in some parts of the country there are u-pick places where
the "extra" they offer is lower prices than a store. That's a different market,
and if that is why your customer comes, it's not unreasonable to restrict their
grazing.

But think about what experience you want to sell.  Consider a charge per head,
or by the hour, or require a minimum purchase per person in the field so that
you get enough revenue. But consider ways to make your customer want to come
back and repeat an enjoyable experience.

Ginda Fisher
Apple consumer
--
Typed with Swype. Who knows what I meant to say?