There seemed to be a lot of late, tail-end bloom(rat-tail) bloom this year
especially on Paulared.  Every tree had 3-4 clusters on borse shoots into
mid-June.  We did use one strep spray on several varieties with this
bloom.  Also it is probably not a good idea to neglect cutting root suckers
that may eventually bloom and be susceptible to fire blight.

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 12:07 PM, Glen Koehler <glen.koeh...@maine.edu>
wrote:

>       Maine had two bouts of fire blight weather during bloom, one at very
> beginning and second at very end.  I suspect that the rapid shift to hot
> days just before and leading into bloom (after slow cool period from bud
> break to pink) may have shocked the trees and resulted in more straggled
> bloom than usual.
>
>     While we have not had an epic fire blight year comparable to what
> other states have experienced in other recent years, there seems to be a
> transition this year.  Originally fire blight was not a disease that
> required attention in Maine.  That era ended about 15 years ago.  Then,
> fire blight used to be something that showed up in a few orchards  in some
> years, usually but not always relatively minor extent.  This year, it seems
> that most orchards have a little bit of fire blight.  No devastating
> epidemics this year, but a lot more than growers want to see.
>
>     Following is off the cuff reply to apple grower dealing with fire
> blight strikes that keep showing up in Paula Reds.  He was wondering if he
> can ever dig his way back out of recurring fire blight infections.  The
> fire blight has been in the block at low level for past 3-4 years and
> despite repeated, (though not always immediate) sanitation removal, it is
> back again this year.  Still not at catastrophic level but it does seem to
> be increasing year to year.  Rough guess is that this year 20-30% of Paula
> Red trees in the block are affected.   Most with only one or two strikes,
> but a few with considerably more.  Unfortunately I think the trees are on
> M26.  Across Maine. there seems to be much more fire blight on Paula Red
> than other cultivars this year.  Honeycrisp and Cortland in this same block
> hardly affected.
>

>     I'm looking for comments.  Did I miss any key points?  Anything
> erroneous?  I'm aware of kasugamycin and other alternative materials, but
> this wasn't the place for getting into that kind of detail. I don't think
> we have strep resistant E.a., should get some more samples tested though.
> Is two early season copper applications likely to be any more helpful than
> one?  Post harvest copper make any sense?
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Glen
>
> **************************************
> Grower message:  "Fire blight looks like heck in the Paula Red’s!  We are
> just cutting what we can and summer pruning.  Is there no hope?"
>
>  Reply:   " It should slow down with trees ceasing terminal growth.  I'm
> sure you have other things you'd rather be doing, but getting rid of the
> fire blight now will at least cut down work load later, and might be the
> thing that prevents further spread that gets to the point where you are
> looking at replacing trees.
>
>     Copper every spring.  Strep on hand so you can react quickly to
> blossom blight infection period forecast that you need to check daily
> because they can change so fast.  Factor fire blight into cultivar and
> [...]

Art Kelly
Kelly Orchards
Acton, ME