Hello Everyone,

Re:  Fire Blight and models.

I was quite interested in the comment that despite the models indicating high
risk, that you generally did not experience much blight this year.    Also,
that it may have been the abnormally dry conditions that may explain this.

This situation occurs more often than not in the Pacific Northwest.  The
infection process modeled by both MaryBlyt  and CougarBlight requires (in this
order):

First, Open blossoms, something easy to see, but often overlooked post primary
bloom, when secondary bloom are often present especially on trees with dwarfing
rootstocks.

Second,   Contamination of the stigma surface by E. a. bacteria, which is
difficult to detect rapidly, but there is ongoing research on this issue.
“CougarBlight” asks you to adjust your temperature risk thresholds and use your
orchard history and judgment here.  This contamination is not present on most
flowers in most orchards, but if there are cankers nearby, this situation
degrades rapidly, and many flowers are contaminated, the closer to the canker
source, the higher the risk.  I think there are more sources of fire blight
bacteria in the general environment in the northeastern USA due to your
woodlots and forests (with feral apples and native hosts such as Hawthorne)  as
contrasted with the treeless conditions around many eastern Washington orchards.

Third, Sufficient heat over sufficient time to enable the bacterial colony to
reach the numbers necessary to cause flower infection. There is an interaction
between this factor and the number two factor. Larger initial colony size will
reduce the amount of time and total heat necessary to colony to reach this
hundred thousand to 1 million bacteria colony size necessary for infection.  IT
sounds as if these conditions were met very well in the East this season.

Fourth, the sufficiently contaminated flowers must be lightly wetted to allow
the bacteria to move from the stigma surface into the nectaries.  Then the
battle begins. The bacteria need to thrive in the nectary in order to reach
numbers sufficient to switch on their virulence. Once this is accomplished you
have an infection.

In the Pacific Northwest we have plentiful supply of open apple and pear
flowers over an extended period of time.  Fire blight is relatively rare in any
given region most seasons, so most growers can assume little pressure from the
bacteria during most seasons. We spent a lot of time emphasizing sanitation
because a little fire blight one year can carry over and lead to great deal of
fire blight the next year.  Because of this documented common lack of
contamination of flowers by E. a., we very often experience a series of days of
temperatures sufficient to lead to fire blight,  but with only scattered
subsequent fire blight showing up over the next two or three weeks. We are
often able to attribute that scattered  blight to dew formation on flowers, as
it often occurs in areas that are more prone to dew, such as frost pockets or
other low areas in the orchard.   When we have a rainy day after a series of
warm days, those areas that have been in bloom during those warm days have
increased experience with more common and severe fire blight, which in this
case depends on the presence or absence of E. amylovora.

CougarBlight was developed where blossom wetting is an exceptional event.  I
try to counsel people using this model in areas where blossom wetting is common
to look at the heat risk as primary, and to assume the blossom wetting will
occur, often almost every night.  Dew and rain are the rule rather than the
exception in many areas where apples and pears are grown.   This doesn't change
the principle of the model that heat is the driver for infection, the blossom
wetting is the trigger for the infection event.

We can learn a great deal about interpreting models by looking at the weather
data around the time that we are fairly certain that isolated infection events
occurred.  We can also look at when expected infections did not occur.   It
would be very helpful to me if any of you would share weather data including
rainfall, hourly temperature (or daily temps) and especially leaf wetness
readings.  Please send data that covers days from first bloom to about 3 to 4
weeks after petal fall.  Excel files are a real time saver.

Thank you.

Tim Smith
WSU (Emeritus)

4.