The institutions of property, prices and profit and loss are at best
approximated in science --- we have at best attenuated property rights,
etc.  The coin of the realm in science is pretige and reputation.  It
is not necessarily a cash nexus, though of course some drug research
etc. does have this implication -- but we were talking about economic
science originally.

I highly recommend Kenneth Boulding's work on the waste of resources in
intellectual markets --- paper can be found in his Collected Writings
edited by Fred Glahey.

Pete

Prof. Peter J. Boettke, Deputy Director
James M. Buchanan Center for Political Economy
Department of Economics, MSN 3G4
George Mason University
Fairfax, VA 22030
Phone: 703-993-1149
FAX: 703-993-1133
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
HomePage: http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/pboettke

Editor, THE REVIEW OF AUSTRIAN ECONOMICS