Actually, I am not making (or trying to make) an argument, I am simply
interested in responses from this list given the range of ideologies. I
agree wholly with previous statements made on this list that Austrian
economics has made large contributions to economics. My question deals more
with one I posed to Don Lavoie last year: "Is there a need to differentiate
Austrian economics from the rest of the profession?" I understand and accept
Pete Boettke's arguments, most notable of them pertaining to the sins of
omission and commission. But is there a viable market niche for Austrian
economics? This might simply be deemed an empirical question, so I ask in
large part because there are really only two schools  that specialize in
Austrian economics for undergraduates and only one for graduates, at least
that I am aware of. (By specialize I mean that they promote it as one of
their market niches, not just that they offer a course or it is promoted as
part of a larger class.) Does this limit the choices of these students when
they graduate, either as undergrads or grads?
In a similar vein, there is a market niche for the Libertarian party, but
obviously it is not a viable party in that it can never sell
itself well enough to garner more than one percent of the vote,
notwithstanding that I fully believe their tenets. Does maintaining their
separatism help or does it hinder good ideas from being incorporated into
"mainstream" thought?

Mark Steckbeck

------ End of Forwarded Message