The comment below..."It was difficult to establish a rational relationship between the Enron bankruptcy and campaign finance reform..." I don't think can be said just y yet.  There has not been a direct relationship at the top, but I think some direct relationship with specific conus and overseas deals that Enron was involved with that involved regulators or government departments will come out.  More will come out on these as the bankruptcy courts go through the material and the government is stuck with bills.  One specific is the trash collection in Conn...did not watch the total new show, but the price is going up.  Who paid who will come out and campaign finance will be in it at some point.  The government personnel who approved those deals will indicated how they were influenced by phone calls from particular congressional staffs...I predict at least three of these will come out and snag some congressman

The other area is the oversight of audit firms.   Some businesses have come out and so stated that they are sick of the practice of campaign finance.  I think business in some areas, especially those that don't align with one side or the other and thus find themselves giving to everyone just to be in the game, would like to be saved from the hole that they have dug.   When issues like ENRON hit, the business men just look stupid and when enough of them get on CSPAN they figure out from a personal point of view it is not worth it.  I legislation is getting business support as long as it is fair to everyone...including the unions and other special interests.  With this business support, I think the game will shift to something else.  It will be interesting how the wind will shift, especially with term limits continuing to be pursued.

john driessnack

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 03/04/02 10:09AM >>>

Enron.  The Enron affair hit Washington and provided an window of
opportunity for McCain and company. It was difficult to establish a rational
relationship between the Enron bankruptcy and campaign finance reform, but
that did not matter. Politics is often irrational especially when issues
involve strong elements of a moral narrative. The supporters of
Shays-Meehan said that the vote would determine whether a member of Congress
was for Enron or for the people.