I hope Fred wouldn't mind me also pointing to another (more substantial)
interesting piece by him:

--------------
Fred Foldvary, "The Completely Decentralized City: The Case for Benefits
Based Public Finance," The American Journal of Economics and Sociology, Vol.
60 No. 1 Pg. 403, 01/01/2001

ABSTRACT. An alternative to centralized top-down city governance is a
multi-level bottom-up structure based on small neighborhood contractual
communities. This paper analyzes the voting rules and public finances of
decentralized, contractual urban governance and the likely outcome of such a
constitutional structure, substantially reduced transfer seeking or rent
seeking.
--------------

At least at first glance, Fred's interesting proposals actually are
surprisingly like those proposed by Gus diZerega in his very thought
provoking (and, IMO, very Hayekian) book: "Persuasion, Power and Polity: A
Theory of Democratic Self-Organization," Cresskill, NJ: Hampton Press, 2000.

He makes a persuasive case for a contractual federalism of citizens'
cooperatives. As he pointed out during the recently concluded Hayek-L
seminar on the book, the book was published almost twenty years after it was
ready for publishing --  as a 1983 Berkeley Phd. But I would highly
recommend it to anybody who's interested in instituting relatively
non-coercive democratic institutions and a non-coervice society in general.

Chirag Kasbekar
The Information Comany Pvt. Ltd.
New Bombay, India