There seems to be an assumption, in all academic, scientific, philosophic,
religious pursuits, that: The Truth is Good.

Since this so obviously cannot be proven, it seems never discussed
explicitly, but when I question, "if the truth is NOT good, which is
better?", the obvious answer is "the Good".  Tautologically (I think).

Now Bible based religions claim they are true, and good.  (This almost
implies that if they are NOT true, they are not good.)

Let us assume the Bible is not true; further, that there is no Biblical God.
Thus, no basis for ANY of the 10 commandments, nor thus for any absolute
moral good vs. evil.

So fornication, adultery, stealing, murder are not "evil", but merely
illegal (or not) under certain circumstances; and true social morality is
exactly equal to only that which is legislated.  There is no meaning to
life, no reason to live or to not live constantly drugged out; there is no
hell to fear, so the only reason to avoid murder is fear of police.

This "obviously" results in a selfish, mean society full of big and little
criminals who are constantly calculating how to cheat and steal the most
while getting away with it; life is for the current momentary pleasure.  Or,
as Ken Lay or many others might have said at some time, it's OK if you don't
get caught.

This (presumed) reality is obviously BAD-reality will NOT be GOOD if the
Bible is not true.

Therefore, only if the Bible IS true, can the (presumed) reality be good.

---

I believe that the above brief rationale captures some of the unarticulated
impulses for believing in the Bible.   In other words, a Bible believing
society is better than an atheist believing society.

Irrespective of the "objective" truth of the Bible, the superiority of a
"Bible believing society" is a position I strongly believe, and I've heard
that F.A. Hayek, privately, believed. (Can anybody corroborate this?).

Finally, if, to achieve the better Bible believing society, it is required
to proclaim belief  ________ this is pretty acceptable.  [fill in the
disputed fact: the Earth is the center of the universe; God created humans
in the last 10 000 years, etc; acceptable until science can more strongly
falsify the belief AND the falsification or not is relevant to most people's
lives.]

I also find it curiously rational.

Tom Grey