> >>Irrespective of the "objective" truth of the Bible, the
> superiority of a
> >>"Bible believing society" is a position I strongly believe,
> >>

> Doesn't your position commit you to believing that the people in our
> society who do not believe in the Bible
> are in fact mostly selfish mean criminals?  What empirical support is
> there for this claim?

Most folks criminals/immoral? Not at all, only generally more immorally
acting people as belief goes down.

Further, I derive support for this from limited thought experiments:
Society A: more Atheist,
Society B: more Bible Believing.

In which society do I expect more fraud? more cheating spouses &
promiscuity? more theft? more murder?
Well, even without empirical support, I believe B will be better for me to
live in, whether I, personally, am a weak Episcopalian/ agnostic/ atheist/
or devout believer.

I'd be very interested in your answers to the following:
1) Which of the two Societies, more Atheist or more Believing, do you
believe would be better?
2) Do you have empirical support for your belief?
3) Does empirical support matter in "this case"?

Recall this is my initial attempt to answer Alex's question about what
changes peoples' minds.  But my 2 & 3 challenges above also touch on the
Occam's razor issue earlier and the burden of proof with respect to the
existence of God.

I do not think the atheist has to prove there is no God -- his job is much
harder.  He has to prove, empirically, that an more atheist society is
better than one with more believers.  Until he can do so, it seems quite
rational for believers who want a better overall society to remain
believers--don't you think?

Not to leave it unsaid, the recent Nazi & Commie attempts at atheistic
societies in practice (empirical evidence?) make me think any anti-believer
has a lot of problems.

Tom Grey,
an American Libertarian/neo-conservative, happily living in ex-Commie
Slovakia
(you're welcome to write me directly too)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]