In a message dated 8/16/02 11:50:09 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< In some sense, local tax collecting communities would then act as

competing corporations – to link this thread with the other topic

floating around on the list

- jacob braestrup >>

In some sense they do already.  New York City, for instance, imposes a local
income tax, and more people flee to the suburbs.  On the flip side, you find
Iowa, Tennessee and Massachusetts (or some other state) offering tax
reduction or elimination to a large corporation that will build a new plant
in their state.  Some of the locals may object to a newcomer paying lower
taxes than the locals do already, and in some cases this may lead people to
moving to states where the tax for the average joe (or business) is lower
than in the state granting the special exemptions.

Still there are other considerations besides tax rates, like crime rates,
weather, ranking of the government-monopoly school system versus other
government-monopoly school systems, proximity to family, and locale
prejudices.  Having lived in Chicago, Denver, Iowa City and now Fairfax,
Virginia  I've found that people have very strong prejudices about some
places.  When I moved to Denver many family and friends in Chicago treated me
as a "traitor."  Nonetheless many family and friends came to visit me in
Denver, which has the reputation of being a "cool" place.  (Note: you can
tell that people consider a place cool if it's featured in beer commercials.)
 I found that in Denver people came to visit me whether I wanted them to or
not.  When I moved to Iowa, I got ribbed incessantly at first about whether
they had flush toilets (they do) and a John Deere dealership on the corner
(actually it was two corners away) etc.  In Iowa City I came to know many
families after whom streets were named--the Danes, the Gilpins, etc--whom I
couldn't see moving regardless of what taxes anyone imposed on them.

I confess I don't have a clue what any of that means.  ;-)

David