Alex Tabarrok wrote:
The public good story is also inconsistent with public opinion polls which show that the public always think the foreign aid budget is too *large*. If the public good story were true people would be clamoring for collective action.

Good point, though I suspect that you would get the opposite result if the question were "Should we spend more, less, or about the same to help poor American children?" Or the American elderly poor. Or the American handicapped.

Alex

--
                        Prof. Bryan Caplan
       Department of Economics      George Mason University

              "The game of just supposing
               Is the sweetest game I know...

               And if the things we dream about
               Don't happen to be so,
               That's just an unimportant technicality."

Jerome Kern and Oscar Hammerstein, *Showboat*