Jason DeBacker wrote:
Why don't more people give more money to charity?
If you asked someone if they would rather see $50 used to
feed a child for a month or on another month cable TV (or
whatever), I can't imagine someone not saying that the child
should be fed.  But almost no one gives $50 a month to
charity and many give that to watch cable television (or
spend it on other `frivolous' purchases.
Why does this happen?
A few possible reasons: ...
- People really don't care about helping someone else, but
are ashamed to admit that. ...

This explanation seems to me to clearly be the one to beat.

Robin Hanson [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://hanson.gmu.edu
Assistant Professor of Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326 FAX: 703-993-2323