--- Jason DeBacker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Why don't more people give more money to charity?

> - The history of charitable money getting into the wrong
> hands has scared people from donating.

Yes, and also the fact that in many "charities", most, even up to 80
percent or more, of the donations go to fundraising and "expenses".

> - There is some kind of market failure.

But we don't have a pure market, so there may be government failure mixed
into this.

> - People really don't care about helping someone else, but
> are ashamed to admit that.

But there is a great deal of charity giving as well as much volunteer time.
 Social entrepreneurs can stir up sympathy for a cause.

There is also a great lack of information about the various charity
options.  For example, my favorite charity is the Pygmy Fund, which is
helping the Pygmy people in the Congo (Zaire) to survive amidst the war and
disease in the area.  It is a small organization that hardly anyone knows
about.  I donate to it because I know the head man (Jean-Pierre Hallet) and
am confident that all of my donation is going to the cause rather than to
fundraising and plush offices.

It seems to me there is an entrepreneurial opportunity to provide a
comprehensive Guide to Charities that would list them and their expenses.

Fred Foldvary

=====
[EMAIL PROTECTED]