It's possible, though a bit complicated.
First, load the data structure for the field from the server:

my $field = ars_GetField( $ctrl, $form, $fieldId );
die "ars_GetField: $ars_errstr" if ! $field;

Then, search the "displayInstanceList" substructure for the display
instance matching the relevant view id.

foreach my $dInst ( @{$field->{displayInstanceList}{dInstanceList}} ){
   if( $dInst->{vui} == $viewId ){

     # Now, search the property list for property "20"
     foreach my $prop( @{$dInst->{props}} ){
       if( $prop->{prop} == 20 ){
         print "Label: $prop->{value}\n";
         last;
       }
     }
   }
}

You might also want to use Data::Dumper to get an understanding of the
$field data structure.

use Data::Dumper;
print Data::Dumper->Dump( [$field], ['field'] );

Furthermore, note that the labels for button fields are not stored in
property "20", but "110". There are also some other special cases for
other field types.

Regards,
Thilo Stapff