>Could be! but isn't it the same thing that some of us want Assam to be written
>as Oxom, or Asom (some like and some hate).

**** Not soooo fast , A ! Did you really think I did not attempt to even think
this thru :-)? Different issues here.

This is how:

ASOM is neither Assam, an ancient name of our region, nor is it Oxom, as the
predominantly known sound of the
geographical area thus named. ASOM is a misguided ( to put it mildly) and
ignorant ( to say it like it is) way to transliterate
the Oxom name in Roman script. ASOM does NOT sound anything like Oxom. And the
ONLY reason for attemting to re-name
Assam to ASOM, is based on the IGNORANT argument that Assam was a colonial
term, coined by the British.

See the difference?

I don't know HOW the Oriyas pronounce the name of their state: as Orissa, or
Orisha or Odisha or some other form.
But if I am unaware of the peculiarity of this 'd' letter representing  an 'rd'
sound, then I would pronounce Odisha's 'd'
as in Godiva, completely turning the intent behind the change on its head.

c-da