Very well put, Manoj.

I had to read the whole email twice to understand what you were trying to
convey.

The main thrust of what I was also trying to say to Chandan-da was if we feel
so sensitive of how Assam is referred to (as, Axom, Asom, Oxom, Osom),
shouldn't we also afford the same kind of sensitivities to the Oriya's or
Odiyas? The other examples of different cities are mentioned by both also.

How can we make a judgement call on how people should refer to their own
language or state, worse still, call their decision dumb?

About Assamese and Sanskrit, this is how Banikanta Kakati quoted of Dr. Nathan
Brown on the footnote (inserted by Dr. Golokchandra Goswami) of his book:
"Assamese: Its Formation and Development".

             ".........finding so large a proportion of words common to both
Bengali and Assamese, and not considering that this
             similarity necessarily results from the derivation of these
languages from Sanskrit, the common parent of both,

The reference here was when some people thought that Assamese came. From
Bengali, then Dr. Banikanta Kakati referenced Dr. Nathan Brown who clearly
stated that Sanskrit is the parent of both. I understand both these well
respecteds INTELLECUALs clearly established this fact. If history was
rewritten, then I don't know.