It is NOT so much about building dams as embankments. The  idea proposed by
Major Chandra is entirely based on building
hundreds of miles of mega-embankments, on both sides of the Brahmaputra. He
would create monster canals, impoundments,  he calls Sagars,
both sides of the Brahmaputra, ostensibly to prevent the tributaries from
flooding the main river and its flood plains, which really is  most of the
Brahmaputra valley. His embankments are proposed to be 20 meters ( 66 ft) in
height.

 If we draw a cross section of a 66' tall embankment with a 20 meter ( again
66') top, it will be like a mesa that is 66' wide at the top and 330 ft. wide (
110 yds)
at the base at the very least ( with a 1:2 slope, which is much too
steep-ideally it should be 1:3).  These will run from the western to the
eastern end of the Brahmaputra valley, two of them to the north and two to the
south. I call them the Mother of All Embankments.

Now compare these embankments to the new highway that has been under
construction four at least the past  5 years, from near Jagiroad to near
Na-Gaon. I am not sure if it is done, YET! Did you see the environmental
catastrophe this project created? And it was barely 3 meters tall and perhaps
no more than 15 meters wide at the top. The Chandra Sagar project will be a
hundred folds larger, if not more. Oh, one more thing: Chandra knows he will
have to build an impervious core to these embankments. Impervious core will be
concrete. I am no civil engineer, but an educated guess will be that this
impervious core, 66' tall will be at least 10' thick. Can you imagine the
volume of concrete he will need to build these - nearly 500 mile long for each
embankment, multiplied by two for the north and an equally long , nearly a
thousand miles, for the south AT THE VERY LEAST. I say at the very least,
because we have not considered the lengths of these embankments both sides of
the tributaries also that the scheme will require as well.

All these are in the realm of the possible. But at a cost. And what might the
costs be?

A: First we should look at WHY the Brahmaputra and the tributaries flood so
much. A very short and simple answer is that the rivers have become very shallow
from silting. So to be able to carry they volume of water they need to expand,
widen, causing flooding. The PRIMARY cause of the worsening flooding is SILTING
of the rivers.

So, why are these rivers getting silted? Where is the silt coming from? A
simple answer is that it comers from Arunachal to the north and from the other
hIll areas from the south.

WHY you may ask. Again to put it simply, because of unrelenting deforestation
and land disturbance ( earthmoving)  in these hilly areas. The population there
are building roads, settlements, farming more and so forth.

Now then, what do you think will Chandra's embankment building  do to the
silting problem of these rivers? Simply put, it will exacerbate the silting
problem by several hundred folds, not to mention the dust and other pollution
that will be the norm all over Assam for decades to come.

Not that Chandra does not know of the silting problem. He does. And he tells us
that the tributaries will have to be  fitted with dams to prevent the silt from
getting into the
Brahmaputra and that they will have to be DREDGED!

Wait just a minute! Dredging did he say? I heard it is NOT possible. Apparently
Indian and Kharkhowa experts have decided that dredging is not feasible since
there is no place to deposit the dredged silt.  I am sure you heard it too,
right here in Assamnet.

WHAT GIVES? Does it NOT sound fishy to you? IF Chandra Sagars are contingent on
de-silting of the tributaries, why not start doing that to the MOTHER river,
the Brahmaputra, to begin with? That will obviate the need for building the
Chandra Sagars with the mother-of all embankments, which will uproot thousands
of natives from the valley and render vast areas of fertile arable land
permanently inundated and keep it under water year round.

But that is NOT ALL. There is much more to it that I will point out, should it
be difficult for you and others to imagine!

Chandra Sagars are borne out of a far more insidious and unspoken motive. Guess
what?