>> My internal email does not go to ASSP.  All my internal clients,
>> including
>> from VPN traffic, goes directly to our email server application.  Only
>> email
>> that is routed to the outside or from the outside goes through ASSP and
>> my
>> AV layers.  I have very strict rules in place for incoming external email
>> that would not be acceptable for internal to internal mail.

> It sounds like you have a very similar setup to what we had prior to
> implementing ASSP - I changed the routing of our local mail to go via
> ASSP ->
> A/V & spam -> mail server because the way I understand it is that
> auto-whitelisting won't work unless you route local mail this way.

Whitelisting has nothing to do with Internal->Internal or local->local mail,
it is only for External->Internal mail.  Communications between internal
employees is different then business comunication from the world to us so
the added non-spam generated email is not very pertinent in a bayesian
standpoint.  All outgoing email auto-whitelists the external recipients as
it should.

> And I just want to add that this seems to work quite well - it's just a
> bummer
> that it leaves whatever you do after ASSP and before your mail server with
> no
> way to discern between external and internal mail.
>
> What are your thoughts on running two instances of ASSP on the same box
> though?

It has been done for some that manage multiple domains, but for me there is
no need.  There is no need for ASSP to handle any internal email period.
Even if we had external users(not physically connected to our internal
network), we would have their email clients connect directly to our MTA on
auth port 587 that wuold then send from the MTA through ASSP the same way
for outgoing only.  All outgoing email is routed from our MTA->ASSP->SMTP
delivery service->Internet.  This also works with our MTA's webmail
application where there is no client app to connect to ASSP.

Doug