> On 1/06/2017, at 9:24 AM, Jeff LaCoursiere <j...@jeff.net> wrote:
>
> On 05/31/2017 04:13 PM, Steve Edwards wrote:
>> On Wed, 31 May 2017, Barry Flanagan wrote:
>>
>>> sngrep
>>
>> Isn't sngrep a great tool? Since discovering it my use of tcpdump/wireshark
>> has cratered.
>>
>> Being able to compare an INVITE that worked with one that didn't (with color
>> highlighting) rocks.
>
> On sites where I want an always available packet history I use tcpdump with
> the -C and -W options to manage a ring buffer of X bytes.  Then you can use
> cool tools like sngrep or really anything that operates on pcap files at whim.
>
> Cheers,

Heya Steve

I use the same Jeff recommended.

Eg this command would capture SIP traffic in capture files up to 100Mbytes
each, with a maximum of 10 files in play and overwriting the oldest
automatically:

        tcpdump -i eth0 -w rollingSIPtrace. -C 100 -W 10 port 5060

Eventually you'd end up with files called 'rollingSIPtrace.00' through to
'rollingSIPtrace.09', and when rollingSIPtrace.09 reaches 100MB, overwriting of
rollingSIPtrace.00 (then rollingSIPtrace.01 etc) would commence.

Does that achieve your goal?

Or was the problem that if your server restarts and the command auto-executes
at boot time then the first file overwritten will be rollingSIPtrace.00, not
necessarily whichever file was the last modified?

Pete