On Thu, 1 Jun 2017, Pete Mundy wrote:

Heya Steve

I use the same Jeff recommended.

Eg this command would capture SIP traffic in capture files up to 100Mbytes each, with a maximum of 10 files in play and overwriting the oldest automatically:

        tcpdump -i eth0 -w rollingSIPtrace. -C 100 -W 10 port 5060

Eventually you'd end up with files called 'rollingSIPtrace.00' through to 'rollingSIPtrace.09', and when rollingSIPtrace.09 reaches 100MB, overwriting of rollingSIPtrace.00 (then rollingSIPtrace.01 etc) would commence.

Does that achieve your goal?

Or was the problem that if your server restarts and the command auto-executes at boot time then the first file overwritten will be rollingSIPtrace.00, not necessarily whichever file was the last modified?

I'd like it to only overwrite the oldest, but server restarts are rare enough that I think this will be acceptable.

--
Thanks in advance,
Steve Edwards       sedwa...@sedwards.com      Voice: +1-760-468-3867 PST