I've tried a few more things to analyze this problem. Interestingly,
when I try to play this recording using mplayer with the command:

mplayer -vo xv 1691_201000926203000.mpg

It plays more or less OK. I can skip backward and forward without
mplayer locking up (note that it played OK in MythTV as well, until I
started skipping around). It did have some audio sync problems after
skipping.

I tried using xv-blit as the decoder in Myth instead of xvmc-blit, but
it had the same problems (locked up after skipping around). This gives
me the impression that I'm looking at a bug in MythTV. What does this
mean to you?

Bruce