Here's my half-assed solution to this problem. Using these scripts to
launch X and the mythfrontend, this hung condition can be detected and
the mythfrontend killed and restarted. Not pretty, but better than
having to do a reboot. In my limited testing so far, it has been
working pretty well. I did experience one "hard" lockup, where it
didn't work, but I couldn't even ssh into the atv in that instance.

I'm more or less a noob when it comes to Linux and bash scripts and
welcome ideas on how to improve these (or better yet, ideas to address
the REAL problem).

/etc/rc.local
---------------
#!/bin/sh -e

su - mythtv -c xinit
exit 0

~mythtv/.xinitrc
--------------------
xset -dpms
xset s off
nvidia-settings -a GPUOverclockingState=1 > nvidia.log
nvidia-settings -a GPU2DClockFreqs=200,720 >> nvidia.log
./startmythfrontend > mythfrontend.log &
xterm

~mythtv/startmythfrontend
-----------------------------------
#!/bin/bash

mythfrontend | ./checkifhung > mythfrontend.log &
sleep 10
ps -ef | grep "/usr/bin/mythfrontend.real" > /tmp/mythfrontend.txt
exec 3<> /tmp/mythfrontend.txt
read ID PID REST <&3
echo $PID > /tmp/mythfrontend.pid

~mythtv/checkifhung
----------------------------
#!/bin/bash

while read line
do
echo $line
echo $line | grep "Warning: Waited too long for decoder to pause" > /
dev/null

if [ $? -ne 1 ]
then
        echo "mythfrontend is likely hung. Restarting..."
        exec 3<> /tmp/mythfrontend.pid
        read pid <&3
        kill $pid
        ./startmythfrontend &