Well, I am gonna go ahead and go with "arch linux" and see if I can get that
working.  It will be more work overall, and less of what I am familiar with,
but it was a few pluses:
-learn something new
-nothing is more lightweight or faster (except gentoo)
-it is optimized and has compile flags for i686 and pentium M, which should
be a performance boost

I just started the install, but I got it working with the following kexec:
# kexec --load vmlinuz26 --initrd=archiso.img
--command-line="initrd=/boot/archiso.img archisolabel=ARCH_201005
tmpfs_size=75% locale=e nosplash vesa video=vesafb"
setup_linux_vesafb: 1920x1200x32 @ 10040000 +1000000
# kexec -e

~Dave