Once you install using the desktop version you should be able to remove the ubuntu-desktop without a problem. I use the desktop installer cd with a preseed file for xubuntu to get a minimal install.

I was trying to track down the installer problem with 10.04 alternate/hdimage boot cd, but ran into a couple of things it could have been. The most promising one was some video stuff being removed from the text installer. I'm deducing that the kexec was executing properly, since I would get flash drive access lights as if it was loading the installer and using the keyboard (blind) would kick off more activity like selecting options in the installer.

Robert