On Fri, Jul 28, 2023 at 2:36 AM Arash Esbati <ar...@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.z...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Very strange. I've enabled this option, as shown below:
> >
> > [ C-h v LaTeX-electric-left-right-brace RET ]
> > LaTeX-electric-left-right-brace is a variable defined in ‘latex.el’.
> >
> > Its value is t
> > Original value was nil
> >
> > If non-nil, insert right brace with suitable macro after typing left brace.
> >
> >   You can customize this variable.
> >
> > [back]
> >
> > But I still cannot observe the corresponding completion of the
> > innermost `(' as shown in the attached screenshot.
>
> Again, I can only suggest that you try this starting with 'emacs -Q'.  I
> did this, activated AUCTeX for my installation, setq'ed
> `LaTeX-electric-left-right-brace' to t, opened a minimal .tex file, hit
> '{[(' and the result in the buffer looks like this:
>
>   {[(*)]}
>
> with * indicating the position of point.

After starting with 'emacs -Q', I tried to do the above test with the
guidance here [1] to install auctex:

M-x package-install RET auctex RET

But I meet the following:

Install package: auctex RET

no match

OTOH, the following method works as described here [2]:

1.2 Installing AUCTeX

The modern and strongly recommended way of installing AUCTeX is by
using the Emacs package manager integrated in Emacs 24 and greater
(ELPA). Simply do M-x list-packages <RET>, mark the auctex package for
installation with i, and hit x to execute the installation procedure.
That’s all.

Any then, I use a minimal tex file:

\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
Hello world.
\end{document}

After opening the above file, eval the following setting:

M-: (setq LaTeX-electric-left-right-brace t) RET

Then, I observed the same effect as shown be you.

[1] https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/auctex.html
[2] https://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/manual/auctex.html#Installation

> Best, Arash

Regards,