On Fri, Jul 28, 2023 at 2:43 PM Ikumi Keita <ik...@ikumi.que.jp> wrote:

> Hi,

> > After starting with 'emacs -Q', I tried to do the above test with the
> > guidance here [1] to install auctex:
>
> > M-x package-install RET auctex RET
>
> > But I meet the following:
>
> > Install package: auctex RET
>
> > no match
>
> I think that your local elpa database wasn't updated when you tried it
> and emacs tries to install older version of AUCTeX, which no longer
> existed on the elpa server.
>
> >> Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.z...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Any then, I use a minimal tex file:
>
> > \documentclass{article}
> > \begin{document}
> > Hello world.
> > \end{document}
>
> > After opening the above file, eval the following setting:
>
> > M-: (setq LaTeX-electric-left-right-brace t) RET
>
> > Then, I observed the same effect as shown be you.
>
> Is that buffer in AUCTeX latex mode? I suspect that it's in emacs
> built-in latex mode due to '-Q' option.

`C-h v major-mode RET' gives the following:

--- begin buffer ---
major-mode is a variable defined in ‘C source code’.

Its value is ‘latex-mode’
Original value was ‘fundamental-mode’
Local in buffer test.tex; global value is fundamental-mode

Symbol for current buffer’s major mode.
The default value (normally ‘fundamental-mode’) affects new buffers.
A value of nil means to use the current buffer’s major mode, provided
it is not marked as "special".

  Automatically becomes buffer-local when set.
  You can customize this variable.
  Probably introduced at or before Emacs version 29.1.

[back]
--- end buffer ---

See the attached screenshot for more details.

> Regards,
> Ikumi Keita
> #StandWithUkraine #StopWarInUkraine

Best,