"Hefferon, Jim S." <jheffe...@smcvt.edu> writes:

> Apologies if this is a dopey question and I am missing something
> simple.  I'd like to turn off auto indent, so that hitting <Enter> no
> longer tries to match to the enclosing environments.
>
> Until recently, this accomplished what I wanted.
>
> ;; Turn off auto indent in AUC TeX
> ;; https://tex.stackexchange.com/q/468047/339
> ;; and https://emacs.stackexchange.com/a/30148
> (defun remove-electric-indent-mode ()
>   (electric-indent-local-mode -1))
> (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook 'remove-electric-indent-mode)
> (add-hook 'tex-mode-hook 'remove-electric-indent-mode)

With the setting above, what is the value of the variable
`electric-indent-mode' when you open a .tex file, nil or t?

> These result in indenting when you are leaving an environment, so if I
> indent by hand as here
>
> xxxx
>   \begin{itemize}
>
>   \end{itemize}test
>
> xxxx
>
> and put the cursor at the start of "test" and hit <Enter> then "test"
> lines up with the backslash in \end{itemize}.

If I open a .tex file, do 'M-x electric-indent-local-mode RET' in order
to turn off the mode locally, I get this with your example:

xxxx
  \begin{itemize}

  \end{itemize}
test

xxxx

I think this is what you also want, right?

Best, Arash