From: Arash Esbati <ar...@gnu.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 6, 2023 17:05
To: Hefferon, Jim S.
Cc: auctex-help
Subject: Re: Turn off auto-indent

⚠ External Sender ⚠

"Hefferon, Jim S." <jheffe...@smcvt.edu> writes:

> put my cursor on the initial "t" in test and hit <Enter>.  The text
> moved to column 1 of the next line, as I wanted.  I'd sure like to
> make that permanent, if possible.

Thanks for testing.  The result basically says that your setup with

  (defun remove-electric-indent-mode ()
    (electric-indent-local-mode -1))
  (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook 'remove-electric-indent-mode)

works with vanilla Emacs and AUCTeX.  So the issue must be somewhere in
your init file or something else loaded during the start and/or setup of
AUCTeX.  I suggest you try to bisect your init file, maybe that helps.
And see if you have any ubuntu specific leftovers from an older AUCTeX
installation.  Finally, you can hit 'C-h e' when you open a .tex file,
maybe that gives you an idea about any files getting side-loaded.

Sorry, but I'm somewhat out of ideas.

Best, Arash