Arash Esbati wrote (Wed, Dec 06, 2023 at 07:28:39AM +0100):
> > I put the the whole .emacs, below in case that is helpful, since it is
> > only 41 lines.  Other than that, I think I have a standard Ubuntu
> > emacs setup.
>
> At a glance, I don't see anything suspicious.

What version of emacs and auctex are you using? A few days back, someone
reported a problem with the ancient version of auctex that is packaged with
current Debian stable. Hope that's not the case with Ubuntu as well.

In case it helps, just wanted to confirm that I tried out the .emacs file
provided, with one change:

(add-to-list 'load-path "...../emacs.d/elpa/auctex-13.2.2")
(require 'auctex-autoloads)

When I run emacs 29.1 as follows:

$ emacs -Q -l ./foo # foo is where I saved Jim's .emacs file

I get what's expected.

\begin{document}

xxxx

\begin{itemize}
\item
  \begin{itemize}
  \item
  \end{itemize}
test

\end{itemize}
\end{document}

Of course, hitting tab before test indents the line.

-mandar